Who qualifies for the principal residence / homestead exemption?

If you own and occupy your principal residence, it may be exempt from a portion of your local school operating taxes. To claim an exemption, you must complete the Principal Residence Exemption Affidavit and file it with the Assessor’s office by November 1 of the year of the claim. The Assessor’s Office will adjust your taxes on your next property tax bill. Note that this is an exemption from part of the taxes and does not affect your assessment. You must own and occupy your principal residence to receive this exemption. Owning means you hold the legal title to the principal residence or that you are currently buying it on a notarized or recorded land contract. Renters should not file this form.

Occupying means this is your principal residence, the place you intend to return to whenever you go away. It is the address that appears on your driver’s license or voter registration card. You may have only one principal residence at a time* (See Exception below). Vacation Homes and Income property which you do not occupy as your principal residence may not be claimed. If you are living only in a part of the home you may file a partial homestead exemption. Please call the Assessor’s Office at 517-694-1502. We will help you calculate the proper percentage.

You may also file an exemption(s) if you own vacant and contiguous land next to your homestead property. View more information from the state about the principal residence and homestead exception:

Show All Answers

1. Why did my taxes go up this year?
2. What if I am not satisfied with the Board of Review’s decision on my appeal?
3. What can I do if I disagree with the assessed value or taxable value placed on my property?
4. I have not been claiming a homestead exemption on my home. What should I do?
5. Who qualifies for the principal residence / homestead exemption?
6. How do I rescind my exemption?
7. What if I am moving?
8. What if I changed my name?
9. Who must file a personal property statement?