Why did my taxes go up this year?

There are several factors that affect your tax rate. The reason may be because:

  1. The taxable value of a property is adjusted each year based on the Consumer’s Price Index (CPI). An increase in taxable value can result in an increase in your taxes.
  2. A millage increase can cause your taxes to increase. Your tax bill includes voter authorized millage for City, County, State Education, miscellaneous school taxes, and other voter approved millages. Your tax bill is based on your home’s taxable value multiplied by the Millage rate.
  3. Proposal A, which was passed in 1994, resulted in the creation of the taxable value against which millage rates are levied to determine taxes. Annual increases to the Taxable value are "capped" and a parcel’s taxable value only increases by the rate of inflation or 5%, whichever is less, unless improvements are made to the parcel; however, when the parcel transfers ownership, the Taxable value becomes "uncapped" for the year following the Transfer. That following year, the Taxable Value becomes the same value as the State Equalized Value (SEV), and subsequent years are allowed to increase only by the rate of inflation (or 5% max).
  4. You may not be taking advantage of the Principal Residence/Homestead Exemption.
  5. You may have added something new to the property which in turn can increase both the assessed and taxable value of the property, i.e. central air conditioning, new deck or porch, new bathroom, new basement finish, new square footage, new shed, new garage, etc.

Show All Answers

1. Why did my taxes go up this year?
2. What if I am not satisfied with the Board of Review’s decision on my appeal?
3. What can I do if I disagree with the assessed value or taxable value placed on my property?
4. I have not been claiming a homestead exemption on my home. What should I do?
5. Who qualifies for the principal residence / homestead exemption?
6. How do I rescind my exemption?
7. What if I am moving?
8. What if I changed my name?
9. Who must file a personal property statement?